April 2016 Arduino Basics, course outline

• 24 Apr 2016 11:34 AM
    Message # 3981682

Apr 26, May 3: Basic Electronics, to get us started on the how and why of reading sensors and controlling LEDs and other devices.

May 10: No class tonight.

May 17: Internet connectivity - We'll use Blynk, a web-service + smartphone app + Arduino libraries, for building internet-connected gadgets that you can monitor and control from anywhere you can connect your phone to the internet.It will be helpful to visit the "Getting Started" page on the Blynk website ahead of time, and:

• Install the Blynk app specific to your device;
    • Install (or at least download) the Blynk libraries into the ArduinoIDE on the machine you'll use in class;
    • Explore the Blynk App on your phone or tablet, and create a New Project. This will display a unique-to-you authorization code that will identify your Blynk app and your Arduino hardware to the Blynk server. The app will offer to email your code to you - copy/pasting it from there will easier than hand-typing it into your programs.
    • Preview "How Blynk Works" in the "Docs" page on their website.

May 24, 31, Jun 7: Programming - Writing programs or "sketches" for the Arduino, including:

• Introduction to the C (and C++) language(s);
    • Tips for programming embedded systems (that's what our little gadgets are);
    • Tips for debugging embedded system programs;
    • Exploring your language and project questions.

Last modified: 24 Apr 2016 11:35 AM | Jeff Stone
  • 04 May 2016 9:19 AM
    Reply # 4001924 on 3981682
    On May 3, I showed the source code for the Blynk program I used to run the hardware demonstrations. We noticed that the I/O grid I'd put in the comments had two pins each with alternate functions labeled PWM_t0, PWM_t1, PWM_t2.

What I'd thought was a typing error, I now remember has a good reason:

The chip has 6 PWM channels and 3 timer-counters (a facility which makes it easy to set the PWM frequency). Two PWMs are connected to each of the timer-counters, allowing you to set up to three different PWM frequencies simultaneously, or to have both some PWM and some timer facilities available.

Last modified: 04 May 2016 9:25 AM | Jeff Stone
  • 17 May 2016 9:52 PM
    Reply # 4025711 on 3981682

May 17, 2016 - Here is the link to the Blynk library v0.3.4 on the Blynk website. I'll to be available by phone or email tomorrow (Wed) afternoon and evening if you need help installing it.